Story of My Life
The world is facing an unprecedented displacement crisis. An unprecedented 65.3 million people around the world have been forced from home as a result of violent conflict, war or natural disaster. Among them are nearly 21.3 million refugees, over half of whom are under the age of 18. 1 million of refugees arrived in Europe in 2015, 360,000 refugees arrived in Europe in 2016. In 2015, over 1 million people – refugees, displaced persons and other migrants – have made their way to the EU, either escaping conflict in their country and in search of better economic prospects. The number of refugees arriving in Europe in 2016 was lower – around 360 000, and in 2017 refugees already have risked their lives to reach Europe by sea so far in 2017 (UHRC).
However, it is important to realise that most of the European countries are not prepared to deal with refugees crisis, starting from the basic things – most of the people have no education or tools to work with refugees. Thus, this emergency situation has resulted in difficulties in several areas: teachers, educators, youth workers and social workers find themselves working with multicultural groups without having received any special training or preparation.
Member states now more than ever have to promote measures to combat xenophobia, discrimination and marginalization in countries of transit and destination – sensitization of young people about diversity became one of the important roles of the youth workers, teachers and educators.
Thus main objectives of “Story of my life” project are:
- To foster cross-sectoral cooperation between actors who are in contact with the refugee youth
- To equip youth workers, teachers, social workers etc. with the necessary skills-set to work with multicultural groups of young people
- To sensitize about intercultural dialogue, respect for diversity, human rights and tolerance
Disclaimer: This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. This publication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained here.
PROGRAMME: Erasmus+ KA1: Youth Workers Mobility
PROJECT NUMBER: 2017-3-CY02-KA105-001142
VENUE: Limassol, Cyprus
- DOREA Educational Institute WTF, Cyprus
- Associació Cultural Tabalà, Spain
- Vagamondo, Italy
- Hellenic Youth Participation, Greece
- Global Organization for Development NGO, Bulgaria
- Association Humanost, FYROM
- Youthfully Yours SR, Slovakia
- Tepebasi Social Assistance and Solidarity Foundation, Turkey